Total Pageviews

Tuesday 30 November 2010

App of the week with a tip or 2!

Hi once again. Let's hope this latest post finds you all warm and well. I'm not sure about you lot but the novelty of the snow has worn off fast, bring on the spring..........now............please!

I was mulling over tonight's blog content and fancied doing something slightly different. So for tonight, and tonight only I will give you my "App of the week" AND a couple of handy tips. My apologies if some of you have heard about the tips but I am sure there will be those that have not so here goes.

I spend a fair bit of time trawling the various iphone 4 forums and this particular subject appears as regular as clockwork. It is a subject that usually finds people in a mad panic because they have inadvertently deleted a favourite app from their iphone, so how does one reinstate that deleted app? Well fortunately the answer is easy.
Log onto itunes and let your device sync. Once the sync is finished go to the left of your screen, locate the library tab and from there select "Apps". This will bring you to a screen full of all the apps you have ever downloaded whether via itunes or via your device. Simply find the missing app, left click and drag it to the devices tab. once you drop it onto the devices tab your phone will re sync with itunes and your missing app will be back. On a side note, prepare yourself for a shock when you see how many apps you have downloaded, I was unpleasantly surprised when I saw how many I have!!

This brings me nicely onto the next tip, pure fluke let me tell you! There will be times when your lovely iphone 4 goes from running like an Olympic athlete to performing like an old BBC computer, yes I really am that old!
The reason for this sudden lack of performance will be down to the number of apps you have running in the background.
Like all computers, any app that has not been fully closed will "hog" resources. Simply pressing the home button does not clear those apps and this is how you do it.
Firstly double tap the home button to bring up your "dock" at the bottom of the screen. If you have done it correctly you will see this,













Next you need to touch and hold any of the icons in view until they start to "shake". Again, if you have done this correctly you will see this,













All that is left is to tap the top left of each icon, thus closing the apps completely. It is worth doing this regularly whilst using your device as it is surprising how quickly you build up a large quantity of apps in the back ground.

Now to the main part of tonight's post and that is a review of my "App of the week", queue the drum roll.

Have you ever yearned to fight the Dark side, shoulder to shoulder with Hans Solo?, well now you can well if you download the following that is! My "App of the week" this week is,

Star Wars Arcade:Falcon Gunner £2.99 from the App store.

The intro screen to this gem of a game lets you know exactly what is in store. Listen to Harrison Ford telling you about the Millennium Falcon as authentic music plays in the background. Don't think I am one of those chaps who attends Star Wars conventions and the like because I am not, but even I found the intro to be very, very realistic.










Once into the game proper, you pilot the Falcon and face a variety of different challenges. You control the Falcon by moving the iphone, thus employing the iphones accelerometer, gyros and compass. You also have control of the ships weaponry, via the on screen joysticks. It may sound complicated but it is a very intuitive way of playing.










The game makes use of the iphone 4's retina display support so the graphics are absolutely stunning. However I have yet to mention the games piece de la resistance and that is AR or Augmented Reality.

Basically by using the iphone 4's front facing camera you can actually play the game as if in real life and let me tell you it is a scream. I can honestly say I have never shot Tie Interceptors in my downstairs toilet, that was until playing this game!











Unfortunately my screen shots do the game a disservice but hopefully give you an idea of what to expect.
The game moves at break neck speed and whilst shooting and steering, you have brilliant sound clips of the various film characters. Sometimes urging you on, at other times being quite rude!
Star Wars:Falcon Gunner's game play is well balanced, the loading screens allow you time to recover before the next onslaught. As you progress you earn credits with which you can buy upgrades to the ships defenses as well as bigger guns!!!!!

I have played for around 6 hours and still feel there is a lot to complete, I have yet to even try the Arcade mode so it comes out top as far a value for money is concerned.

Star Wars:Falcon Gunner is Game Centre and Facebook enabled so no doubt, given time, there will be a healthy community.

It's hats off to the guys at THQ Wireless Inc for what is, in my opinion, the best game currently available. To think we can play this on a mobile phone is unbelievable.

5/5 with no hesitation. Nothing more to say other than GET IT NOW!!!

Andy.

No comments:

Post a Comment