Total Pageviews

Tuesday 14 December 2010

Case review-Case Mate Vroom for the iPhone 4


Hi again on what is a milestone for my blog. Today I got to 1000 viewings, so that's 999 from me and thank you to the other person! Seriously I never considered the amount of hits my blog would get, although I do know that the blog subject is popular, so a big thank you to all who have spared the time to read my ramblings lol!

Tonight I will be doing another case review but was wondering how many cases the average iPhone 4 user owns. It would be interesting to know who has the most cases and the numbers involved, my best guesstimate would be well over 100. If any of you own a large amount of cases why not let me know.

Ok back on track and tonight's review is on the Case Mate Vroom which is available from MobileFun.co.uk and is very reasonably priced at £12.95.


Case Mate Vroom
Now first off you will notice the name, which in my opinion is rubbish. I think the marketing dept at Case Mate must have been on a late night session when they came up with this name but it is even worse when you see the reverse of the case!

the back of the Vroom!
Yes it resembles a tyre tread but come on guys, surely you can do better than Vroom!

What's in the box?

Case Mate are very good in this department as, yet again, they provide a screen protector, applicator card and very good sized micro fibre cloth in addition to the case itself. Other manufacturers please take note!

Description.

The Case Mate Vroom is a single piece case made of a very high grade silicon. The unique aspect of this case is the tyre tread pattern on the rear which is actually very accurate. To be fair I have seen cars on the road with less tread than this case but that's another story!
As with all Case Mate cases I have seen or tried personally, all the relevant cut outs are in the correct place and very neatly done. You will have no worries about operating the iPhone 4 with this case so well done Case Mate in this department.


Lens and flash cut out


sleep button, audio port and secondary mic cut out


30 pin dock connector


volume control and vibrate switch


good lay on the table design
Using the Case Mate Vroom

The Vroom is one of the easiest cases to install, a real plus point. Due to the quality of the silicon it really does provide excellent impact protection. Another feature so often overlooked is the lay on the table design. As you can see from the image above, the Case Mate Vroom offers excellent protection in this department. As always, I use a screen protector with  this case. Unfortunately that is where the good points end for this case and on this I will elaborate.

I found the silicon to be very slippery to the touch, in an odd way it even felt slimey. This feeling is made worse by wet hands and I would not trust myself not to do a good impression of trying to hold a bar of soap! Yes the back of the case has a substantial amount of grip but the sides seemed to have been overlooked. In addition to this I found the case really difficult to extract from my trouser pockets. I know this is in contradiction to how the case feels, but it really seems to snag on cotton pocket liners.
The final annoyance with the Vroom is the amount of dust and grease from my hands it seems to attract. Now I don't have greasy hands, or at least my wife has never mentioned it lol, but just holding the case I seemed to transfer lots and lots of pale marks. The dust it attracts is really bad, it's a real "lint" magnet and after a few hours use I thought the case looked really "tatty".

Overall.

Case Mate are a premiere case manufacturer so the Case Mate Vroom came as a real surprise. I would prefer to see the case made a 2 part with a plastic outer, this would fix all the problems. I won't be using the Vroom again, unfortunately it is destined for the "odds and sods" drawer at home ready to give out as a gift to someone!!!!!(just kidding).
Overall I give this case a 3/10 and just think that Case Mate had a bad day when they drew this one up.

I will be back later this week, hopefully with my Xmas shopping done, so until then stay safe and warm,

Andy









No comments:

Post a Comment