Total Pageviews

Thursday 2 December 2010

Item review-Otterbox Commuter case for the iphone 4.

Evening all. Yet another snowy night so what's better than reading a review?Quite a lot if I am honest but I am here and if you are reading this, then so are you lol!

This evening I bring you another review. The item today is,

The Otterbox Commuter case for the iphone 4.





The Otterbox Commuter costs £22.95 and is available at www.MobileFun.co.uk. It is only available in black.

What's in the box?

The Otterbox Commuter comes in two parts, more of which I will explain later. In addition to the case, Otterbox also supply a small pack which contains a front screen protector, a micro fibre cleaning cloth and a small card to use when applying the screen protector. This extra pack is always handy and, as far as I know, Otterbox supply this courtesy pack with all of it's iphone cases.

Description of the case.

As previously mentioned, the Otterbox Commuter case is made up of two parts. The inner segment is made of an extremely soft, silicon rubber which is very easy to fit to the iphone. Once fitted this inner case provides a good deal of protection on its own. It neatly covers the volume buttons and has two really useful port protectors, one for the 30 pin dock port, the other for the 3.5mm audio jack. I really like this aspect of the case, the extra protection of these two ports is important in my opinion.
The rear of the silicon case has two cut outs. One for the Apple logo, the other for the rear facing camera and flash.

Rear of inner case
The outer segment is made of a very durable looking polycarbonate material which adds a slightly higher degree of protection. Again the outer case has cut outs for the 3.5 mm audio jack and the Apple logo.

rear of outer case

The outer segment has a nice rough feeling to it which really aids grip. I cannot see this case slipping out of your hands unlike some currently available.

Using the Otterbox Commuter.

Fitting the inner segment of the case is easy. Just make sure that the two port covers are in place. This segment, when fitted, has a slight lip which protrudes slightly and fits over the front of the iphone. I like this as it gives what is known as "lay on the table" protection. This means that when laid face down, the front of the iphone will not scratch on the surface, again another thing I look for when buying cases.
Fitting the outer segment is a little more tricky. I have found that fitting the iphone "top in" first makes it a lot easier. The outer segment is quite a snug fit and it is important that you take the time to make sure it is fitting properly.
Once the Otterbox Commuter is correctly fitted I found that all the various device buttons were easily accessable. The rear facing camera lense is not interfered with in any way. The case really does offer a very good level of protection without being too bulky.                 

                                                                   

<>
base of the case

top of the case

                                                  

case fully fitted


Overall I really like the Otterbox Commuter. Whilst not the most pleasing on the eye, it is what I would describe as a work horse. There are no issues when using it and I feel confident that it will protect my iphone 4 from everything bar a nuclear attack! If you want a case that does that, go for the Otterbox Defender!
My only real niggle with this case is that it is a little tricky to put together. I certainly wouldn't want to be putting it on and taking it off on a daily basis! Like most other iphone 4 cases currently on the market, I have yet to find a desktop charging dock that will take the iphone with the case fitted.

I give the Otterbox Commuter 4/5 and can certainly recommend it to you.

Until the next time, stay safe,

Andy.

No comments:

Post a Comment