Total Pageviews

Wednesday 16 February 2011

App of the week-Where to?

Hello again. I hope you are all well and having a good week whatever you are doing.

In the past I have done App reviews, hopefully you find them useful. The Apple App store has in excess of 250k Apps available for download so choosing a decent one can be a real headache. I will only preview ones that I like personally and here is an App that has caught my eye.

Today I want to introduce you to Where to? , an App produced by Future Tap and available for download for £1.79. 


Where To?

What is Where To?

Where To? is a travel and information app although it is stored under navigation in the App store.

What does it do?

Where to? will help you find any sort of service from hotels to fishmongers! It provides the name, address, telephone number, map and route to it from your location. It currently has in excess of 2k of stored services and also includes a search feature should you want to find something really obscure! Now this app sounds like it could be really confusing but that is not the case. It functions and looks brilliant.

Key feature.

Search.

Where To? searches from this excellent wheel type icon.


search page

Highlight the "categories" tab and it will bring up this screen, each of the 11 icons is a sub menu. For example I am looking for dog kennels so I click on the "services" spanner which brings up a list of different types of service, all listed alphabetically. You can also do a direct search by highlighting the magnifying glass icon top left and typing in "Kennels" in the search box if you prefer.

I scroll down to "kennels",


"services" sub menu
and click on "Kennels".

Kennels listing
This brings up the Kennels listing and starts with those closest to your location.
I have decided to look at the first in the list so click on Debdale Grange,

details page
This page tells me that Debdale Grange is 2.4 miles, "as the crow flies",  from my current location and provides all the relevant details. At this point you can choose to add the Kennels to your iPhone phonebook, share on Facebook, Twitter or send the details by text or email. You can also look at a map, or ask for directions. You can also use the phone number from this page by clicking on it.

I have decided I want to see where it is on the map so I click on the "Open in Maps" tab which brings up a Google Earth map and shows where the Kennels are,

map screen
I now select "directions" which brings up a route map.

route map
The "route map" tells me it will take 10 minutes to reach the destination by car, I'm not fit enough to walk there lol!

If I click on start it will take me to the navigation screen,

navigation screen

I can now follow the directions which are very detailed. You can also scroll through the entire journey using the arrow icons at the top of the screen and it will bring up screens like this,

route screen


route screen

Because "Where To?" uses Google Earth you can even view your final destination!

final destination!
As you can see, "Where To?" provides all the details you could possibly wish for, I even defy my Mother In Law to get lost whilst using this brilliant app!

"Where To?" also has a Virtual Reality setting, ideal for finding stores in a busy shopping centre. This is purchasable "in app" for only 59 pence.

Overall

"Where To" is a well designed, well thought out app that is really interesting to use. It gives you invaluable information, lets face it, it costs less than half a pint of lager! Two phone calls to directory enquiries and you have covered your costs.

I have used it a few times now, without fault.

This is a brilliant travel companion and for the price, can you really afford not to have it?

I give "Where To?" a thoroughly deserved 9/10.

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment